Tuesday 8 September 2009

RestMS a voyage of discovery

For quite some time I have been researching lightweight asynchronous messaging protocols for use as a signalling protocol and the transport of telemetry. Ideally I was looking for something which built upon current protocols, and established client implementations rather than re-inventing the wheel. Quite recently I chanced upon RestMS and after reading through each of the draft specifications, and going through the perl example client code that this could well be a good basis for what I was looking for.

Below are some of the reasons I was attracted to RestMS, albeit quite young at the moment.

1. It uses HTTP which is everywhere, with clients for pretty much everything.
2. It is based on the REST approach to data access and services.
3. The documentation relating to this stack clearly illustrates a lot of thought and experience has gone into these specifications.
4. Some nice high level diagrams with a good explanation of behavior, this provides a great starting point for someone building or evaluating the use of this stack.

So based on this I decided to setup a project to work on my implementation of RestMS, in my language of choice being Java. This can be found at http://code.google.com/p/storm-cloud/.

While looking into the basis for RestMS I have read a lot of resources on the web, I have pulled some of them into the following list.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello.
I'm studing some messaging protocols. You said that spend some time "researching lightweight asynchronous messaging protocols".

What more protocls do you recomend to me?

I've learned the "RestMS - a RESTful Messaging Service" but i think it failures when it says that all clients must agree in one profile but the specification does not define any protocol. So, there is no interoperability because unknown applications have a commun way to communicate via Rest but does not have a well known "profile".

What do you think about that?

Thanks